Tuesday, April 24, 2012

disconnect.

"Pay attention to all the leaves, the flowers, the birds and the dewdrops. If you can stop and look deeply, you will be able to recognize your beloved one manifesting again and again in different forms. You will again embrace the joy of life." ~Thich Nhat Hanh

I just returned from a walk around my neighborhood with my pooch, Riley, in tow. Or, as she would have you think, she had me in tow. The air was warm with a nice gentle breeze, heavily perfumed with the scent of lilacs, honeysuckle and dogwood all in bloom. I started to wonder if something was wrong with my nose.. there's no way the smell can be that strong!

All too often we have our noses firmly planted in our iPhads or electro-gizmos to stop and notice the beauty all around us. Too busy to stop and notice each other. Even as we walk, we have our devices with us, barely glancing up. I certainly am guilty. Today I left my tethers to an imaginary world behind and soaked it all in. The clouds deciding whether or not they would open up and douse my walk, the birds chirping and playing their songs, the robins scheming and guarding their territory, the children playing, flowers blooming. Even the crazy moths and their erratic dances.. Its days like this that I wish I could bottle up all the smells and sounds and hold onto it for a day that I really need it. Instead, I will soak up each millisecond, noticing the beauty and wonderment around me. Even as I sit here and type this post, I am out on my deck, drenched in all that this moment has to offer.

Normally in a class, I will talk all about connecting. Connect the breath with your movement. Connect your mind and body and universe. Today I challenge you to disconnect. Unplug. Get outside and savor this day. Even if it is just for a moment. Start to notice the things around you. Get your hands dirty and plant something. Fly a kite. Take a walk. Say hello to a stranger walking down the street. Be present. Om shanti, shanti, shanti... peace. 

"Pay attention to all the leaves, the flowers, the birds and the dewdrops. If you can stop and look deeply, you will be able to recognize your beloved one manifesting again and again in different forms. You will again embrace the joy of life." ~Thich Nhat Hanh





No comments:

Post a Comment