Friday, June 29, 2012

fire.

Love is what is left when you let go of all the things you love. 


Let that sink in a bit. 


Those words describe the last week or so for me. As many of you know, Colorado Springs was deeply affected by a wildfire out of control this past Tuesday. A literal firestorm, if you will. Tens of thousands of people fled from their homes, not knowing if they would have a home to return to. I was one of them, along with my family. 


As I stood outside watching the smoke build and turn an ominous shade of orange, I knew things were getting bad. As snowflakes of ash poured down on my head, I knew the danger was growing. 


I am a yoga teacher. More importantly, I am a yoga student. I know about non-attachment. I like to think that I am pretty non materialistic and not attached to "things". But when you are faced with packing up your "important" belongings and fleeing your home, I can tell you.. non attachment is the last thing on your mind. Yes. They are just "things". Things can be replaced. Lives cannot. I had no issue with leaving. My life, the lives of my family... that comes first. Above all else. As long as we have each other, things have a way of working out. I know that. More importantly, I BELIEVE that. 


But dammit! Those are MY things. Things that I have busted my ass to have. Things that 10 years ago, I never imagined would be mine. And yet, its just stuff. 


I can't tell you what "stuff" is important. I can't tell you what things you should take with you if you are ever faced with a situation like mine. I can tell you that stressing yourself over what could happen, what could be, what I could lose, are things that you need to leave behind. Trust me. Even though I have digital backups of all the photos hanging on my walls, I wanted to take them. Even though I have more books than I could even think about carrying, I wanted to take them all. The time and energy spent stressing about that stuff, that clutter, is better used to keep you in the present moment. Thankful that you HAVE stuff to worry about. Thankful that you have friends and family that care about you and are concerned for your safety. Thankful that the people that matter in your life most are there with you. There comes a point where you just have to let go. 


Yes, I am a yoga teacher. I am a yoga student. And I know about non-attachment. More now than I ever did. The car is packed still, our area still in a pre-evacuation state. If I have to leave my home again, I know I will have all of my important "stuff" right next to me the whole time. Colorado Springs will rebuild and renew, as will the forest. The outpouring of support from this amazing community has been overwhelming. My heart goes out to all those who don't have a home to return to. And my heart breaks for the few that have lost their lives. And more than anything, I am ever grateful for the men and women who put their own lives at risk to save ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment