Thursday, February 9, 2012

the journey continues

Atha yoga anushasanam. 

The first yoga sutra teaches us that NOW begins yoga. Well, that's great! Im on my mat, and I'm doing yoga, so-whew!- thats done. Well.. not exactly. So what are these sutras that I speak of?
Simply put, the fundamental teachings of yoga.

When I first started practicing yoga, I thought it was great. I sweat a lot, so thats got to be good, right? I feel limber and strong, even though I flailed through most of the poses and wobbled on my feet. I didn't practice regularly, but loved the idea of it. Perhaps I was too shy to go to a class regularly, or just couldn't find the time. But it struck a chord deep in my soul and it continued to resonate. I decided I wanted to teach yoga. But life got in the way, as it has a way of doing.

It was a few years later, I wandered into a small studio and the fire sparked in me again. As I lay in Child's Pose, my sweaty forehead plastered to my mat, gasping for air, I wondered.. why am I doing this? What am I getting out of it? But I felt the pull, and every week I returned. It became something that I needed. I wanted to find out more. Physically my body started to change. I didn't flail as much, and I became a bit less wobbly. My shoulders didn't burn quite as badly as they had in the beginning. I became stronger. Like many people, I tried yoga for its physical benefits. But without warning, the spiritual side creeps in. You start to look at things a bit differently. Perhaps, the driver that just cut you off in traffic is spared the blaring horn and the profanities, and you start to wonder what they have going on in their life that they need to hurry along with no regard for you. Maybe they are rushing to the hospital to be there for a sick loved one. Or better! The birth of a child. You begin to bring the calmness of the mat into your daily life. An angry customer yelling into your ear is greeted with kindness and a smile. You choose carefully what you put in your body and choose carefully the words that come out of your mouth. Speaking truth and compassion. And NOW begins yoga.

You're ready to explore the deeper dimensions of yoga and well.. your life. Lately I feel as if I am having a constant cycle of NOW begins yoga. I felt it when I signed on the dotted line to become a yoga instructor. I feel it every time I walk into a classroom and greet my students, eagerly awaiting my lesson for the day. Helping someone to find their NOW is amazing and humbling. As I watch you twist and sweat, and respond to my cues, I am reminded of myself flailing and wobbling not so long ago. I do still flail and wobble, but I gladly accept those flails and wobbles and take them in stride instead of getting frustrated with myself. Im embracing the ups and downs and the whirlwind moments, and I am so excited to see where I land. On and off the mat.

Every moment. Every breath. Every word. Every action has lead you to this very moment. What will you do with it and which direction will you choose?

Atha yoga anushasanam.





1 comment:

  1. Love this! And it's a great reminder that every moment, every breath, every word, every action IS this moment.

    ReplyDelete